Refinery unit bids deadline is extended Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2010
AL KHOBAR: State oil firm Saudi Aramco has extended for the fourth time the date to submit bids to build a solids handling unit at its 400,000 barrels per day Yanbu refinery, industry sources said yesterday.
The extension was made at the request of bidders, said one source. The deadline for bids for the unit, which will produce 6,300 metric tonnes per day of coke and 1,260 metric tonnes of sulphur, is now July 6, said the sources.
It had already been extended from an original due date of February 28. Italy’s Saipem, Britain’s Petrofac Limited and South Korea’s Daelim Industrial Company are among companies bidding for the solids handling unit package.
In April, ConocoPhillips, the third-largest US oil company, said it cancelled plans to build the Yanbu refinery with Saudi Aramco, citing its strategy to reduce its refinery operations.
After Conoco’s withdrawal Aramco sent a letter to contractors stating that it or a wholly-owned Aramco subsidiary would proceed with the project.