Refining Community Logo

Update – OGJ WW Ref Survey 2008 Cap

Home Forums Coking News: DCU, Upgrader 1.Coker (registered users only) Update – OGJ WW Ref Survey 2008 Cap

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 11 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Charles Randall
    Participant

The OGJ WW Refining Surveys are out in Dec 22, 2008 edition – Vol 106 – Issue 48. And are available online for you @ http://www.ogj.com/articles/article_display.cfm?ARTICLE_ID=348555&p=7&section=ARTCL&subsection=none&c=none&page=1&x=y . …….if you (subscribe OGJ).

I haven’t fully reviewed OGJ WW 2008 yet but they still have lot same errors I see:
    – Don’t include the 17 Asphalt refineries for US total (~147 not 130);

– Only show 12 cokers in China but there are at least 39 cokers for Govt. Sinopec & PetroChina Ref as well as 42 Independent Ref cokers (only about 16 operating/not idled – but capacity & operating capability in place); & there are several new grassroots cokers & coker addtions (several additions were at existing coking refineries) that came online 2007-2008 (Wuhan, CNOOC Huizhou, Fushan, Maoming, Qingyang, Karamay, ect).

-New CHS Montana coker shows charge but forgot coke tonnes & lower asphalt production by coker charge. Also several US refinery cokers had drum replacements that increased capacity that were not captured.

-Several of refineries with mutiple coking units/coking types do not have split on coker charge rates/coke production in US & elsewhere.

-Some name changes still not made (Valero Corpus=Bill Greeley Ref Corpus, Giant Yorktown=Western Yorktown, Valero Norco=Valero St Charles, ect)

-they forgot to put in LOT new cokers came online in 2007-08:   US Sinclair Rawlings WY, Petrobras (Duque de Caxias), Chile Enercon (Aconcagua Ref), India Reliance Jamagar expansion (completed & online by Dec 2008 – son need double shown capacities) & India IOC (Panipat Ref) ,  Mexico New cokers Pemex (Cadereyta & Madero), & Turkey (Tupras Izmit Ref).  < But Several other additional cokers were delayed & will now have 2009-2010 start-ups.> 

-and OGJ left off all Mexico cokers tpd petcoke and did not de-rate asphalt/Fuel oil production for new coker charge rates.

…..and this is just my prelim look/review survey details around coking. 

Also appears from Legend that they de-listed Hungary MOL Tiszaujvaros refinery-petchem because it did not process crude & US Suncor Denver since it is operated as combined Suncor Commerce City Refinery complex.

And as always this report does not capture any of the Crude Site Upgrade Cokers & intermediate product field units (Suncor/Syncrude/PDVSA) nor the stand alone Needle coker sites (Seadrift, GLC Lemont, ect)

Regards

Anonymous

Thanks for the critique, Mr. Randall.  I notice that several of the cokers labelled as “Type 3 – Other” (as opposed to fluid or delayed) do not show per-ton volumes.  For example, the two listed cokers in Alaska.  In your opinion, do you think the volumes were just omitted, or is there an “other” coking process that doesn’t produce material solids?

Best regards,

Charles Randall
    Participant

The Other (#3 superscript) is sort basket of different process several like the Alaska refineries are alternate process to coking that do not fit per sae into the Thermal Process alternates.

One largest groups in Other#3 is the ExxonMobil “Flexicokers” – in my opinion they should be listed the same as the fluid cokers (#1 superscript – perhaps a #1a). But probably are not because they are quasi integrated
    gasifiers-cokers & most of the petcoke is consumed as fuel for the process and like the fluid coking small particles that are not are recirculated to act as catalysts / nucleation site for fluid coke formation.  Which is presumably one reasons that no tons are shown – however to be correct there is usually bed coke & should account for tons consumed with footnote they become fuel.
    <Shell Martinez is flexicoker, Venezulea Cardon & ect are also flexicokers>.

Another goup of Other#3 is the Romania/Ukraine/Russian “Still Cokers” which is sort alternate type to delayed coking that was adapted from steel coal coking process (one of  smaller / older Volvograd cokers is example) and few of these also exist in China.

Some of Other#3  for Japan/China/Asia refers to a “Eurkea Coker” that is really just an alternate Hydroprocessing (Thermal process) by Chyioda that should be in next column. Japan Sodegurera Refinery & China Nanjing are examples.

One of India refineries (Bharat Numaligarh) has the calciner tons instead of coker tons listed and used be Other#3 but now does not have a superscript note on it (it should be #2Delayed) and seems only charge rate for portion coke that goes to calciner is shown?  Note – There are several now in Coking column that do not have superscripts – just go back earlier years & carry them forward (making sure crosscheck what they are first).

Sometimes they miss label the Needle cokers and put them as Other #3 instead of Delayed #2. Sometimes they have the Fluid cokers as Other#3 instead of #1 Fluid. 

Since I dont have real changes in my spreadsheet yet, I haven’t crosschecked my datafiles with all corrections – this just gives you idea of what you need checkout. Good news is that there isnt a lot in this Other category & you can get real coker/Flexicokers sorted easily.

Hope this helps & happy researching.
    Regards

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community