Refining Community Logo

Ultra sonic meters

Home Forums Coking Technical Heaters & Furnaces Ultra sonic meters

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Lucibar Davalillo 10 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Freddy Martinez
    Participant

We are currently expanding our coker and adding two new drums plus a new Coking heater. The plan is to use Ultra sonic meters in the Coking heater pass flows. Is anyone else doing this and what is your opinion of Ultra sonic in this service? How does a Coke drum switch affect the Ultra sonic? We currently have Wedge meters and they work great but our IT guys want to go with Ultra sonic for both of the Coking heaters. I am skeptical of Ultra sonic in this stream.  Thanks

Lucibar Davalillo
    Participant

I would not try anything more expensive if wedge meters work well, as you said.

You will need more room to accomodate ultrasonic, so it will have some additional plot plan impact

Just my thoughts..
    Lucky

Rang Nath Dubey
    Participant

What is the recent trend regarding flowmeters in the heater pass flows ? How is the performance of wedge flowmeters? We are thinking to install ultrasonic flowmeters for this service, but many of the colleagues are of the opinion that wedge flowmeters work as fine.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Anonymous

Only thing I know is that Conoco Phillips used ultrasonic in a Texas location and experienced random spikes in their readings and the bandwith of these spikes became shorter over time. The extreme temperature may have something to do with it. 

Anonymous

Dear All,

Greeting of the day! We have used eccentric orifice meter in heater pass line. Can you provide basis for selection of orifice meter for coke particle service.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community