Refining Community Logo

Skin Thermocouple on Coker drum wall

Home Forums Coking Design and Reliability Cokedrums, Structure, Inspection Drums Skin Thermocouple on Coker drum wall

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 15 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

I am working on a new Coker unit coming up in Edmonton. On the coker drum wall, it is proposed to have a skin thermocouple. Please let me know if anybody has used this before. Will it improve the reliability with respect to determining if the coke drum has been quenched adequately and if there are no hot spots?

Thanks Sangu Narayanan
    29 Mar 2005

Anonymous

Skin couples can give you a general idea of what is going on inside the drum. You can still have hot spots in the centrial part on the drum and not show up on the skin couple. The skin couple can also be used to give you a general idea of how your drum goes thru warn-up and quench cycles. You can use strain gauges at some of your skin couple locations to give you an indication of now your drum is being over stressed at some locations due to a rapid quench, etc. All of this infomation can be used to help extend the drum life. But in answer to the original question, skin couples can’t give you 100% accuracy as to hot spots in the drum.

dwj1944@earthlink.net
    31 Mar 2005

Anonymous

I believe dwj answered your querry very well. Skin TC,s will help you in assessing thermal stress or stress imparted to the drum metal but not accurately. If you have strain gages it will and will give you good correlation. As to hot spot determination and any other process condition inside the drum it is not that useful. You can use the drum metal TC’s to at least find out temp. differential during the admission of drum feed after decoking

atc/nc
    02 Jun 2005

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community