Refining Community Logo

RIL's Jamnagar refinery expansion by March '08

Home Forums Coking News: DCU, Upgrader 1.Coker (registered users only) RIL's Jamnagar refinery expansion by March '08

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Charles Randall 13 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

January 17, 2006 12:30 IST
    Reliance Industries plans to complete its ambitious $5.7 billion expansion of Jamnagar Refinery Project under the special economic zone by March 2008 to emerge as the world’s largest single-location refinery. The company has already started implementing the massive 30 million tonne per annum refinery without waiting for the petroleum ministry to formulate and notify the policy for export-oriented refineries.

According to RIL sources, 50 per cent of the front-end engineering design of the Jamnagar expansion is complete and the company has started procurement of major equipment. The construction is expected to start soon to meet the March 2008 deadline.

American major Bechtel is serving as engineering, procurement, construction and management contractor for the project while the technology is sourced from global majors such as Exxon Mobil and Foster Wheeler, the source said. The expansion project would catapult Jamnagar refinery to number one position in the international rankings for single-location refineries with the total refining capacity touching 1.2 million barrels per day.

RIL is currenly placed at number three with 6,60,000 BPD behind Venezuela Paraguana refining of 9,40,000 BPD and South Korea’s SK Corp with 8,17,000 BPD.

RIL, which has already emerged as a major exporter of the refinery products, is expected to reap great benefits from Jamnagar expansion on account of cost competitiveness and lucrative benefits.

RIL, which was the first to set up export-focussed Jamnagar under the export promotion capital goods (EPCG) scheme ahead of PSUs and private players, has recorded a 35 per cent hike in export to Rs 21,814 crore (Rs 218.14 billion) in the first nine months of the current fiscal and 80 per cent of these exports were refinery products, the RIL source said.

Incidentally, RIL has now timed the switchover of Jamnagar expansion from domestic tariff area project to SEZ facility to capture the business opportunity emerging in the international market, once again marching ahead of the public sector oil refineries.

The company estimates that the global refining industry is likely to witness a demand-supply mismatch on lack of capacity addition since the companies in US and Europe are unlikely to set up greenfield prjects due to stringent laws.

The sources said that the Jamnagar expansion, when completed in 2008, is expected to give a big push to RIL’s bottomline in 2009-10 fiscal, which would be the first full year of its operation.
    Since being implemented under SEZ, the project would enjoy customs and excise duty exemption on purchase of all capital goods, raw materials and spares and 100 per cent income tax exemption for a block of five years, 50 per cent tax exemption for two years and up to 50 per cent of the profits ploughed back for the next three years.
    Jamnagar expansion project would also be able to set its products in the domestic market once it achieve positive net foreign exchange earnings as per the formula laid down under foreign trade procedure.

Charles Randall
    Participant

The expansion of Jamnagar has moved out the planning stage into EPC stage, with a target date of March 2008 (but is later than original Jul 2005 news release citing an August 2006 completion date) instead of the OGJ Nov 2005 construction report showing a planning stage completion date of 2010. It also means that the new coking unit drums are likely in the procurement stage with Bechtel doing procurement / Foster Wheeler doing the technology.

As indicated this expansion puts Jamnagar into first place rankings for single location capacity, and should keep the coking unit in its worlds largest coker with the drum additions – not an easy title to hang onto with MAP Garyville doubling capacity and Canadian Suncor Upgrader into their 3rd upgrader & coking unit with over 16 coke drums already installed.

Regards
    Charlie Randall

Anonymous

Its good to get all the news here, we are a Vendor to RIL Refinery.. and would be interested in getting involved in this project, any ideas, tips?

Anonymous

Mangiarotti S.p.A. is fabricating 4 large hydrocracker reactors for this plant.  The largest one approached 1000 metric tons!

For info about Mangiarotti please email info@mangiarotti.com

Anonymous

pinku kumar

Anonymous

[quote]ORIGINAL: Guest

Sir
    I have hands on experience of Water Treatment & Demineralisation plant with additional knowledege of cooling water treatment. Presently my services are being chanelised inWaste water treatment plant.
    Iam keen on being associated with your esteemed organisation.Is there any opportunity for me?   On which address i should mail my resume?
    My email Address : rishuvishu_123@yahoo.co.in
    Warm Regards

Anonymous

[quote]ORIGINAL: Guest

Charles Randall
    Participant

This is not a job board – just a operations blogg with posting of refinery & coking news items. Back up to home site and look under either coker jobs or resume links and go from there, or go to the Reliance webs site as you should have and register there.

Good news for you is that I am not connected Reliance because I would toss out anyones job request that was too lazy to find correct company HR site or not smart enough to see that nothing in this section related to request for jobs. 
    College is over – need to do a little thinking on your own now, because industry doesnt spoon feed information to anyone.
    Regards

Anonymous

Any one knows what some details about the RIL shutdwon problem. why the support system skirt has cracked within 7 yrs of operations?  is it due to design problem or operation problem and what is the operation paramters and the cycle time of RIL coke drums

Charles Randall
    Participant

For all those trying to post for a job or trying to post resume info on this site – please read my comments posted on 10/12/2007 under this news item.

We are just reporting on news items around Reliance – no one is connected with hiring / work going on there. Go to Coker jobs site or Reliance website ……. not showing good hiring characteristics by posting here dudes.
    Regards

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community