Refining Community Logo

Refinery Sludge injection

Home Forums Coking Technical Sludge & Fines Refinery Sludge injection

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Evan Hyde 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Hedewandro Lucredi
    Participant

As you know during processing in refineries there is the production of oily sludge. These sludges are treated and the oily part and injected into the our DCU. The solid part and sent for treatment outside the refinery. What would be the alternatives for injecting this oily sludge in the DCU? We’ve tried to inject during the cooling of the drums but the period are short. What alternatives do we have for treatment of the oily sludge in our DCU? What technologies are available?

Mike Kimbrell
    Participant

There are several methods to recycle oily sludges within the Delayed Coker. Processing a water slurry of these sludges during the water quench phase of the coke drum cycle was pioneered by Mobil Oil and was called MOSC for Mobil Oil Sludge Coking (at least that is what I think the abbreviation means). Another method is to inject an oil slurry into the coke drum either into the overhead of the drum or into the feed line downstream of the heater. Another method is to bring the dewatered oily sludge into the blowdown system to dry it out completely and then use the circulating oil from the blowdown system as overhead vapor line quench so that the oily sludge gets processed during the coking phase.

Veolia did a presentation back in 2006 about these various options. The address is listed below: https://refiningcommunity.com/presentation/process-solutions-oily-waste-processing-and-coker-injection-technologies/

Mitch Moloney of ExxonMobil did a presentation on sludge coking for one of the conferences. I think it was a CokingCoker conference back in 2004 or 2005. He listed the various methods of sludge coking and some of the processing rates. At that time ExxonMobil was licensing the sludge coking technology.

I am not aware of any other technology or significant improvements in the existing technology to recycle oily sludge into a Coker.

Hedewandro Lucredi
    Participant

Thanks a lot. Please if you have the Mitch Moloney presentation available I will appreciate.

Hedewandro Lucredi
    Participant

Besides Veolia process anybody knows any other company to treat sludge to inject in DCU ?
    We intend to reduce our sludge generation to minimum.

Evan Hyde
    Keymaster

Hi. Clean Harbors has done it in the past but their business units have changed so I’m not sure if they are still doing it. There was a company in Chile that I met a few year ago that was doing pigging for all of S. America and some waste treatment as well…you might check with them. Sorry…name escapes me I’m sure there are only a few in S. America….maybe you can add the name if you recall.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community