Refining Community Logo

Quench water coolers- Best Practices/Recommendations?

Home Forums Sulfur Tailgas Quench water coolers- Best Practices/Recommendations?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jordangronkowski 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

deloresbx18

I am wondering if there is a “best practice” with regards to the selection of the quench water exchangers used in the quench section of the tail gas treatment process.  Both of our TGTUs were designed with plate frame heat exchangers, which perform well for thier size, but are susceptible to rapid fouling.  We have several plate frames in parallel that allow us to cycle the exchangers for cleaning as required.  Is anybody using shell and tube or fin fans for their quench coolers?  Do you have any routine strategies for keeping the exchangers clean?

Forum Guest
    Participant

I think the fouling is the nature of the beast. We actually had filters on the quench water circ line to try and keep the crap out of the system. We had the typical cooler, not a plate cooler. Do you have suction screens on your quench pumps?

Egbert van Hoorn
    Participant

I would agree that this should be considered as fouling service although it is not that obvious.
    It is possible that operation on a too low pH or other non-optimal process conditions of the TGTU cause corrosion of the quench tower and subsequent fouling of the heat exchangers.
    How stable is the operation of the TGTU?
    regards

jordangronkowski
    Participant

When it comes to keeping heat exchangers clean, a fouling mitigation solution would be your best bet.

Take a look at this heat exchanger fouling mitigation technology.

Allows you to extend the run-length of heat exchangers by cleaning in place.

Cheers,
    J

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community