Refining Community Logo

New U.S. FCC's ?

Home Forums CatCracking FCCU-CatCracker New U.S. FCC's ?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Charles Randall 13 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

I see a number of new Cokers being added in the U.S.A. over the next few years.  Has anyone heard of a new FCC planned for a U.S. refiner?

Charles Randall
    Participant

There are ton of FCC expansions/additions going on in the US.  Most of the coker expansion projects are around an increase in capacity for the refinery and/or the use of the heavier Canadian Bitumen crudes which has less naphtha and more gasoil than conventional crudes (Usually the Naphtha content comes from the added diluent condensates or synthetic crude cutters normally). So not only all downstream FCC’s but all the catalysts units in refinery will have a heavier load/use because of this crude.

In addition to all coking projects – several of the asphalt refineries and even some sweet crude refineries will be increasing use of some of the Canadian synthetic or SynDilBit crudes and require FCC expansions.  Here are just few I know of from US S/D & project work forecast:
    COP Bayway,NJ – FCC revamp & 4%(+5.8MBD)expan; COP Woodriver,IL Ref & coker expan – will need FCC expan; Sunoco Phila,PA- FCC expansion (+15MBD); BP Whiting,IN – +55MBD Ref expan (&FCC); Frontier El Dorado,KS – (coker&) FCC revamp (+5MBD); MAP Detroit/Cattlesburg/Robinson Ref (100-180 MBD Hvy Crude) & FCC expansions (& coker); Sunoco Toledo,OH FCC expan (+24MBD); CVX Pascagoula,MS – Coker & FCC revamp (+16MBD) recently completed Dec 2006 but another doubling expansion refinery +200 MBD in progress; Placid Pt Allen, LA – FCC expan (+7MBD) completes 2Q08; Big West Bakersfield,CA – FCC revamp (+19.2 MBD); And several more Refinery & coker expansions for large CA Hvy. Oil projects fit here also (my fingers are getting tired).

My recommendation to all refineries a year ago was to beef up on all (Reformers, HDS, FCC & Polymer) catalysts because the cost is going new levels.  In addition to all Oil refineries, all the metal refineries are way behind the demand curves for same environmental barriers that have shutdown & not allowed new plants. Nickel has gone from $4/lb to $21/lb, and same goes for Cu, Va ~ all metals & commodities and additionally a shift in smelter/production sites has been to countries where there is little to no consumption <hence no recycle of used/scrap> that was present in previous developed producers…..strap in it is going be price roll-coaster cycle.  

News tidbit – the Vanadium levels on ExxonMobil Baytown fluid coke is high enough it has been used as Vanadium ore source (~+5000ppm).  Think the Canadian Oil Sands that contain Bitumen are also being looked at for metals & minerals source like Titanium Dioxide and ect.

Charles Randall
    Participant

Sorry – I spoon feed my competitors enough information now, in order to get some details back to operating folks. But no there is never a “List” unless you pay big bucks for it or put it together yourself. Once in while you get luck & get a leg up with shutdown details and project work list like OGJ construction survey in Apr/Oct, or list like I have posted for Europe & Asia in Refinery news section (one for US also but you will need search for it for reason I stated).  New projects – you need check on raitos like coker/crude, FCC/crude, and Alky/FCC+Coker to see if capacity is maxed out & hence current expansion requires revamp as well.  Project insight is mostly detective work because often journalist dont understand what they are writing about & company only volunteers basic stuff.

Missing – well I think when your refinery in swamp with big alligators ….. then you shoot them first before worrying about the little ones.  Also your using the term “Slurry Oil” which implies Light or Heavy Cycle oil with catalysts fines – the same FCC streams can be callled Decant or Clarified Oil when some fines are removed by process step. So projects are not likely push capacity limits back into slurry stream with newly designed units…..

If you are playing the Global projects then you basically have the US also – 75% Global Capacity is held by same top 7 companies that also control 75% US refining markets.  Always good idea to start with last client – track down his addition/expansion projects & hit them up for inclusion on FEED / EPC stage work to same cost/time.
    Regards

Anonymous

What are the dimentions of FCC and coke drums used in Alberta oil sands upgraders?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community