Refining Community Logo

Galvanized steel vs. coated or painted steel Coker Structure

Home Forums Coking Galvanized steel vs. coated or painted steel Coker Structure

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Charles Randall 6 years ago.

• Author

Freddy Martinez
    Participant

What discussion points favor galvanized steel over painted or coated structural Coker steel? Can coated or painted steel give similar service life? Are there any detrimental results from using painted or coated steel structure members?

Thank you and kind regards.

Charles Randall
    Participant

This probably should be bounced off workshop of Refinery Corrosion Engrs at coking refineries. Coking Units represent the largest number and broadest types of corrosive actions – many levels above other units because of Cyclic Stress, Stress Corrosion Cracking, EletroChemical Corrosion and many other forms of metal on metal impacts.  Add to that some the highest thermal cycles of 70F to 900F every coker cycle and just about every form of protection is needed. 
    Even though its dated (2000) – there is good ASTMPDF on Effects & Impacts Corrosion (shows ~12 catagories) @  
    http://www.asminternational.org/content/ASM/StoreFiles/06691G_Chapter_1.pdf
    and I understand that NACE had Corrosion Conf 2012 that had lot papers on galvanized steel / coatings so toggle that or have your plant metallurgist do it for best results.
    One other things that come into play is lot external environments some these refinery & coking units face – I was stationed Billings Montana Refinery & the swing from -40F (no wind chill just temp!) to +80F in 24 hr period often made the conditions outside pipe & structures worse anything inside them. 
    Best to reconcile that there is no magic bullet where one process provides cure but effective use of everything and right application for particular problem is best fit. 

Anonymous

Thanks for the guidance Charlie. I appreciate the help.
    Regards,
    Steve Nichols
    ex-Con

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community