Refining Community Logo

Frontier Cheyenne Coker Expansion

Home Forums Coking News: DCU, Upgrader 1.Coker (registered users only) Frontier Cheyenne Coker Expansion

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 15 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Charles Randall
    Participant

Frontier is adding $78 MM coker expansion at Cheyenne Refinery that will add +3 MBD of coking capacity (increasing from 10 MBD to 13 MBD) as the $8 MM crude expansion allows the refinery slate to switch to more heavy Candian Crude.

The coker is set to complete by 2Q 2007 just as the Rocky Mountain P/L completes and brings 55 MBD Canadian Crude (expandable to 90 MBD) from Guernsey, WY into Ft Laramie, WY. and then into the Frontiers Cheyenne Refinery Tank farm.  Frontier has contracted 35 MBD for 10 years with RM P/L and leased 300 MBD dedicated tankage from them.  

Anonymous

Is this a new announcement? What do you think of the strategy behind this? I’m curious how the market will perceive this.

Anonymous

It was sort of an update on the coker expansion and went along with the Frontier crude expansion going on at El Dorado (must have been posted on the refinery section).

As far as what the market thinks – If I was Frontier I wouldnt give a flip, I would just take my profits from running the heavier crude and plan on the next expasion.  There is lots of new Canadian crude coming into the Midwest as the numerous P/L’s complete and bring the blended & synthetic crude as far as Cushing Oklahoma distribution system, or into heart of  Midwest, East Coast & upper Gulf Coast refineries that the Heavy oil upgraders have been targeting for last 5-10 years.

The driver is of course making more light oil products instead of asphalt, from the heaviest (and hence a much discounted) crude charge at a time when the US Refining industry is prevented from expansion and must get peak demand shortfalls with expensive import from less complex refineries.
    Charlie

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community