Refining Community Logo

Free Fall Arrestors

Home Forums Coking Operations Cutting, Drilling, Unheading Drilling Drilling Equipment Free Fall Arrestors

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Mitchell Moloney 8 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

coker squirrel
    Participant

We have experienced many problems with free fall arrestors.  Cables become loose and hang up causing freying of the cable and eventual cable breaks.  I have heard that there is some sort of mechanism for keeping the cables on a free fall arrestor system from becoming loose and blowing in the breeze.  Does anyone have any details about this? 

Mitchell Moloney
    Participant

You can use sway breakers ……..

·         Cable can become wrapped around beans in high winds not allowing drill to go up or down.

·         Have new simple sway-breaker design from Jeremy Krauthammer at the Hovensa DCU.  He uses a rubber guide to hold cables in place, made from used conveyor belts.  These are placed at about three locations along the steel structure where the cables are located. 

I cannot post a sketch since I cannot get in to gif or jpg, and txt loses the sketch 

Cable passing through rubber guide
                                        Side View

Drill steel support beam

Rubber guide

·         Locate 3 or 4 @ different levels.
    ·         Problem can be alleviated are tightened and tensioned properly.

Claus Graf
    Participant

The same rubber sway breaker design was installed at the Petrozuata Upgrader in Venezuela and the guys there tell me it works great.

ted pivo

Just for an information  purpose Ruhrpumpens free fall arrestors grab the derrick rails they use NO CABLES

Aaron McDonald
    Participant

We have a 6 coker operation in part of our facility and have sway breakers on the newest two.  They have worked very well, while we have experienced hang-ups and issues with the other four.  We are now proceeding with install on the remaining.

Claus Graf
    Participant

Welcome to the coking.com forum.

Please keep us updated on the sway breaker operation.

One question: What grease do you use in the cable grippers ?

Regards, CG

ted pivo

These sway breakers are they home made or what vendor supplies them

Anonymous

can u provide me a sketch of sway breakers or suggested vendor at shubhangupta@gmail.com

Anonymous

Thanks guys, I just about lost it looknig for this.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community