Refining Community Logo

Filter aid

Home Forums Sulfur Amine Filter aid

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 8 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Freddy Martinez
    Participant

We operate a large pre-coat filter in an amine system. We are considering using ion exchange resin as a filter aid. Will this remove solids and heat stable salts?

Anonymous

I’m seeing bigger problems with that… For example, if you assume a system with 100,000 gallons of solution containing 20000ppmw of anions, you have about 16000 pounds of anions. To get out of the corrosive range you would want to remove about three quarters of the anions, or 12,000 pounds.

If you figure the nominal loaing is about 0.5 pounds of anion per pound of resin, you’ll need about 240,000 pounds of resin at a cost of over $2 million. Since the resin is not being regenerated, you’d probably be better off using the cash itself as the filter aid. 😉

On top of the cost factor, the resin is normally supplied in the choride form, so you’d replace the heat stable salt anions with choride anions which would cause even bigger problems from cracking and corrosion.

Anonymous

Using Resin aas filteraid is not a good thought, but the solution will not work appropiate. Filter aids are special mixtures to obtain a certain filtration efficiency. This will not be offered by Resin. So this means that you have to mix the resin with filter aid to obtain the requested retention. Keep a ionexchange in a 10% slipstream of the filter section in the lean amine side and this will can control the formation of HSS. Please look at http://www.aminefilter.com for more information. Jan Hermans

Jeanne rameau
    Participant

Just my opinion, but I have worked operationally with installing filter packages. Lean filtration seems to work best, using Carbon and filters. Although I was involved with installing a EDU skid, and it worked very well in controlling heat stable salts. It costs money upfront, but it will pay for itself eventually. Here is a website you might want to check out. http://www.electrosep.com/

…I have also heard Refiners wanting to move more toward filtering Rich amine…which is helpful, but their is a need to assure Process Safety Management issues are resolved.

Pete Bisila
    Participant

It is understandable why refiners would want to filter on the rich amine side as that is where most of the crud is coming from.  The lean/rich exchangers tend to be the most effected equipment when deposits foul the tubes and you can no longer cool your lean amine.   As SRS mentions, rich amine has PSM issues due to the entrained H2S.  It is a lot simpler to deal with lean amine filter cake without the H2S and fresh air handling.  We run a 10% slipstream off the lean amine side through a precoat filter with diatomaceous earth and have decent results with run length in the system.  We have had issues with excessive corrosion of the carbon steel lean amine piping and equipment when it is operated above 140F, but cooling or upgrading to stainless seems to take care of the problem.

Anonymous

we filter 100% of our rich amine to protect the lean rich exchangers and regenerator and 10% of the lean stream to both the charcoal and cartridge filters. we neutralize the heat stable salts and reclaim the amine when the ash hits about 7% max. the system is very stable and forgiving. by the way, it is mdea and the predominant gas is coker off gas.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community