Refining Community Logo

Drum Safety procedure

Home Forums Coking Design and Reliability Cokedrums, Structure, Inspection Drums Drum Safety procedure

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 13 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Hedewandro Lucredi
    Participant

What will be the “best” procedure for the folowing situation. If I had stopped the drum feed for during 10 hours  but still continue injecting steam during this time. The coke level is low (let say near by cone) and the gas on the top is around 460 oF.
    What will be happen if I return the feed to this drum ?
    Would have any problem with the drum life ? During the drum opening will have any problem with the coke ? Any personal safety problem ?

Thanks

Anonymous

Even though I do not have the whole picture, I’d not consider going back to that drum after 10 hrs; I’d have considered withim couple hours, but after that long it may be worse building more coke on top of an unstable coke bed.

Now, unheading that drum will be always a risk and safety / fire protection meassures should extreme as much as possible. Putting steam in a quasi empty drum is not a guarantee of adequate stripping.

Few questions, did the drum receive cold feed? how long? what’s the type of unheading device? if Slide Valve available, then putting water and try draining would be my first attemp; if drum won’t drain, let it soak and open the slide valve being prepared for anything. The worse scenario is if either manual or semi-automatic unheading is available, because it would require special facilities for potential hot flamable material release.

Anonymous

We did not do this operation. We have done the regular procedure and it nothing happened.
    We do not have any automatic device to unheading the drum bottom. So would be very unsafety to this procedure

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community