Refining Community Logo

Drum filling

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  antonio saura Cebrian 10 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Freddy Martinez
    Participant

Can someone tell me what is a typical percent fill for a coke drum? Thank you!

Generally, is designed with a filling drum or outage of 20 feet, that is 20 feet of empty, measured from the flange top to the bed of coke

Anonymous

Thank you espana, but what would that be as percent fill for the drum, 60, 70, 80% of the volume?

if you want to carry this percentage , with drum measures, calculates the total volume of the drum and the  partial volume subtracting this height, as I say the drums are designed to leave a empty space between 30 to 20 feet (area without fill called outage), this is independent of the height or diameter of the drum,  this is considered a safe space to avoid dragging or entraiment of coke or foam to the header line, these velocity  in the drum must be less than 0.7 ft / sec, the ideal 0.3 ft / sec

Im sorry for my english Espana2005
    Dont hesitate if you need more information

Claus Graf
    Participant

Dear guest:

Also, the outage will be different depending on the design cases (type of feed/composition) your coker was (will be ?) built.

If you want a number, our drums are 120 ft flange to flange and our max coke level is 90 feet.

Regards,

CG

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community