Refining Community Logo

Drum Cooling/Quenching

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  antonio saura Cebrian 10 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Darren Hudema
    Participant

I’m trying to reduce the amount of time we take to cool/quench our coke drums. Our quenching cycle typically takes 6 – 7 hours of water after the slow and fast steam. Our cooling water pump puts out approx. 450 gpm with the flow control valve wide open.

Recently we modifed our cooling water ramping program so that we are maximizing the rate of water addition to the limit of our pressure control valve to the blowdown system. This has enabled us to reach full water rate is the least amount of time. Our current practise is to set the pressure controller at 40 psig.

My question is would there be any benefit of reducing the drum pressure once the pressure control valve is less than 50% open to maintain the pressure. My thinking is that reducing the drum pressure would allow my cooling water flowrate to increase.

I’m also looking at installing a larger impeller in our existing pump but this will take some time for the necessary approvals.

How are other refiners quenching their drums?

Which is this pressure control valve, that you mentioned?, where this located ?in the recirculation to the water cutting tank(quench pump) or you talking about to the valve located in the line that goes towards to the blowdown tower

Darren Hudema
    Participant

The pressure control valve I’m referring to is on the line from the top of the coke drum to our blowdown system. This pcv is normally set to 40 psig prior to starting water flow to the coker drum. During the intial water ramping the valve is almost wide open due to the large amount of steam being produce but within 2 hours the valve begins to close in order to maintain 40 pounds pressure on the drum.

wu wai
    Participant

Hello,everybody.
    I am a newer here.
    I like to make friends.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community