Refining Community Logo

Drill Stem Straightening

Home Forums Coking Operations Cutting, Drilling, Unheading Drilling Drilling Equipment Drill Stem Straightening

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Claus Graf 11 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Freddy Martinez
    Participant

Has anyone had experience with repairing a bent drill stem by straightening it?  We have contacted Flowserve and they recommend not proceeding in this direction.  Is there a specific company that was used to straighten the drill stem?  Reliability after the straightening?  Thanks.

Claus Graf
    Participant

In the coker I used to work, we would replace the bent section with a new one. Our drill stem was Flowserve design, threaded sections. We had a complete (disassembled) drill stem on a custom designed rack (by an engineering intern) on the cutting deck.

Regards
    CG

Anonymous

Taken from the Old Discussion Forum:

Re: straightening bent drill stem
    Category: Safety
    Date: 11 Jun 2002

Comments
    Hi John, You might try using heat to straighten the drill stem. By taking a large oxy-fuel rosebud torch and heating 3X18 inch long rectangles at various locations along the outside radius (extrados) of the bent pipe, thermal expansion and contraction will move the pipe back into position. I would use an IR gun to monitor temperature, don’t heat any location more than 1000F (if it glows it’s too hot). Heat the rectangle to temperature and allow to cool. The heat will initially cause the bend to look worse, then it will pull the pipe back past its original bent position. This is an old trick used on I-beams where heat shapes of rectangles and triangles can be used to curve an I-beam around to a desired shape. You might have your welder practice on a 20 foot length of pipe.
    Call me if this sounds too confusing. Take care, Tim. Capstone Engineering 281-493-2236 x 212 or Cell phone at 281-414-2136
    [hr]

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community