Refining Community Logo

Drill Stem Depth Indicators

Home Forums Coking Design and Reliability Cokedrums, Structure, Inspection Structure Drill Stem Depth Indicators

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mike Kimbrell 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author

austinteders
    Participant

I am currently looking at options to measure drill stem depth while cutting a drum. The goal would be to send live measurement to the operators in the cutting booth. What equipment have you seen used here? What has / has not worked? What companies sell this equipment? Thanks.

Mike Kimbrell
    Participant

I know that both Flowserve and Ruhrpumpen can provide feedback on the drill stem position within the coke drum as part of their overall cutting system. They can also assist you in retrofitting an existing system. Both of those systems work well. They also include a tensiometer on the cable to determine if the cutting tool has contacted the top of the coke pile. This can lead to unspooling the cable that can be a serious safety hazard.

While it might be possible to add these indications to your system independently, my recommendation is to have Flowserve or Ruhrpumpen evaluate and update your system. The probability of success is much higher with them being involved. Early attempts to add this functionality had significant reliability problems that have been worked out with the current designs.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community