Refining Community Logo

Delta Valve Feed line

Home Forums Coking Operations Cutting, Drilling, Unheading Unheading Delta Valve Feed line

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  coker squirrel 12 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Christy Bohannon
    Participant

We will be installing delta valves on both our top and bottom heads in the next year. Currently, we are evaluating two options for feed line placement. One option is to feed into the drum at a 90 deg angle. We are slightly worried about impengement on the opposite side of the drum with this configuration. The other option is to angle the feed line slightly up to minimize the impact.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these configurations? If so, what is your recommendation? What, if any, problems have you noticed as a result of the feed line placement?

Thanks for your help.

coker squirrel
    Participant

We are installing Delta Valves on our bottom heads next month. I wanted to angle the feed line slightly upward but due to the line retrofit we were only able to go in at a 90 deg angle configuration. We are also slightly worried about impengement on the opposite side of the drum. We were more concerned about the top flange of transition spool piece connection on the bottom head itself. We are going to weld the transition spool piece to eliminate the top flange connection. I have heard both pro’s and con’s to doing this. We feel like we are better off eliminating the flange. Are there any ideas on this?

Christy Bohannon
    Participant

We are not completely finished with the designs yet (we are installing in January) but we are also planning on eliminating that bottom flange. That is the only real cause of leaking I have heard about. Like you, we are also planning on going in at 90 deg. I was worried about impengement at first, but our engineering analysis shows that there shouldn’t be a problem.

Anonymous

90º is the best choice. You will avoid plugging problems during decoking. You may want to ask DV. They said 2 years ago that 90º was the best choice. Last time I heard they changed their minds given new data they took from one operating unit (impigment is now the big concern)

coker squirrel
    Participant

We plan to ensure the feed line possible line is not plugged from decoking by blowing the feed line out with steam prior to closing the Delta Valve. Our feed lines come in at 90° so that should help in that regard anyway. We just had our Delta Valves installed and we are now starting the Unit back up from turnaround so we don’t have any history yet.

Anonymous

From my understanding, both DeltaValve and Chevron has done extensive studies around the cone section to help address these concerns. I would contact Ruben Lah at Deltavalve for the results.

Anonymous

During De-coking you could to run a small amount quench water, through the Inlet line to keep the coke from packing up to far into the Inlet Line. Steaming out the Inlet line after De-Coking is complete is to late as the line becomes to packed for steam to blow thru. Feed Lines come in at 90 degree’s

Claus Graf
    Participant

You need the steam to go through, to pressure test the drum after re-heading.

Some cokers have the inlet feed line(s) tilted upward (not at 90 deg).

Regards, CG

Anonymous

Some new Cokers have double feed lines (180 deg. apart)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community