Refining Community Logo

Cutting Deck Toilets – Summary

Home Forums Coking Operations Training, services, people, procedures, lessons learned Advisors Cutting Deck Toilets – Summary

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 8 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Hello all,

Strange question for today….has anyone ever seen toilets on the cutting deck?

I have not. I’m asking because CNRL is considering it and someone from the safety group asked me for “industry experience” during the MOC process.

Personally, I don’t think it is a good idea for the following reasons,
    + There should be someone who can relieve the cutting deck operator if nature calls on shift
    + Maintenance and other work on the top deck should not be constant enough to preclude having time to come down.
    + Elevator reliability or lack there-of is not an excuse to need a toilet
    + Hygiene conditions on the top deck are not generally that good, keeping a toilet clean might be near impossible. Most sites don’t allow eating or drinking in the unit either to prevent ingesting particulates.
    + Egress in the event of an emergency could be impeded while using the facilities.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

========================================

Responses

Chevron = none
    Marathon = none in normal operation but a porta-john during construction
    Valero = none
    ExxonMobil = none
    BP = none
    ConocoPhillips = none
    Shell = 1 only but out of service
    Suncor = none
    CNRL = none at present

Additional comments:
    Gourley Looks like your reasoning to keep toilets off the structure are sound, I especially liked your thought on emergency egress.

Moloney The reasons you gave are all valid. The main reasons that we do not allow portatoilets on the structure are hygiene and ability to respond to an emergency for your safety or others. When you are in the field, you are expected to be on the job 100% of the time. Period. If you need to use a toilet, you should have proper technician relief (no pun intended) in place. We also would require this of contract workers, maintenance technicians, etc. As some old timers (I guess I am one now) have said – It aint no ice cream factory out there.

Kimbrel In addition to your reasons, I would not want to run a sanitary sewer line up the structure. Getting potable water up to the top deck to provide water for eye washes and safety showers with an adequate pressure is sometimes difficult. That would also be true for a rest room. There is also the issue of winterization for those systems in cold climates.

The question about having a toilet on the cutting deck comes up periodically. Normally, it is after a time when there has been trouble drilling coke drums and the driller has been up on the cutting deck for an extended period of time. I have heard reports of people relieving themselves over the edge of the structure, but I have no direct knowledge of that occurring.

Meek Only one of our units has a bathroom, i.e., toilet and sink, on the Top Cutting Deck. However this bath is presently decommissioned. Reasons for decommissioning 1.) This was installed new and put into service in 1984 time period and suffered from occasional Freezing incidents over the past several decades. This is not good! 2.) A toilet and sink typically requires potable water to be run to the top deck with booster pump, and indeed was the case. However this booster pump has been converted to Service Water for Top Delta Valve cooling, and 3.) Remote cutting has eliminated any requirement.

Conclusion

For the myriad of reasons proposed above, it does NOT seem like a good idea to have a toilet on the cutting deck. The only example has been decommissioned. Other provisions should be made for the operation and maintenance workers using the top deck on a coker.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community