Refining Community Logo

Convex Coke Layer Problems

Home Forums Coking Design and Reliability Cokedrums, Structure, Inspection Drums Convex Coke Layer Problems

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 15 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has seen a similar situation before as the one we are currently dealing with. After our coking cycle and steam/water quench, while we are drilling/cutting we notice that the top of the coke surface is not level, it is more of a convex shape. This is causing false level indication in the top of our coke drum and therefore we have to switch drums early. Does anyone know the cause of this or a remedy to this problem? Is this happening in the coking operation itself or is the middle of the coke bed “collapsing” after steam/water quench. We currently feed the cokers with reduced bitumen from oil sands with an API of around 2. I heard that it may be due to condensation on the coke walls and then subsequent coking of the liquid dripping down the walls, but that is the only theory I have heard so far.

Thanks

Anonymous

Oh Sorry, I mean a concave shape not convex.

[quote]ORIGINAL: Guest

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has seen a similar situation before as the one we are currently dealing with. After our coking cycle and steam/water quench, while we are drilling/cutting we notice that the top of the coke surface is not level, it is more of a convex shape. This is causing false level indication in the top of our coke drum and therefore we have to switch drums early. Does anyone know the cause of this or a remedy to this problem? Is this happening in the coking operation itself or is the middle of the coke bed “collapsing” after steam/water quench. We currently feed the cokers with reduced bitumen from oil sands with an API of around 2. I heard that it may be due to condensation on the coke walls and then subsequent coking of the liquid dripping down the walls, but that is the only theory I have heard so far.

Thanks
    [/quote]

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community