Refining Community Logo

Coke fine handling

Home Forums Coking Technical Sludge & Fines Coke fine handling

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Claus Graf 8 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

We are in the processs of expanding our Coker.
    Right now we cut onto a pad, the water goes to a screened pit then into a sump then pumped into the coke cutting water tank.
    We are looking at adding either a Maze, Hydrocyclones or partitions in the tank.
    What are the positives and negatives of each option.
    I have heard that the Mazes do not work well.
    How easy are the Mazes to clean?
    Any information about each would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Claus Graf
    Participant

Anonymous

I have a client who does not appear to have good success with their hydroclone system. 

Charles Randall
    Participant

You need see Article by KBC Tech – Sim Romero & Scott Sayles just published in OGJ Jan 07, 2012 issue on Understanding the Impact of Coke Fines – especially with Canadian Oil Sands bringing in sand particles with high levels of Titanium. 

Fines impacts very understated by all studies and come in +4 flavors: Coke fines themselves, FCC Catalyst fines, Slop Oil Sludges and/or Daf unit sludge and the Syncrude blends with Titanium (TiO2 Ores) bitumen sand particles.

Sim’s presented Advanced Coker classes for Coking.Com and his report is Part I & II but think it only outlines some issues & downside cost.  Fines all types can cause damage pipes/equipment, cause premature coking in furnace/fractionator/drums, increase/cause foaming & carryover problems, cause formation uncoked resid or hot spots coke drums and crap load other issues.
    Lot plants tend bypass alarms & filters that frequently go off especially when their is no observable connection to unit upset (shortterm) ……  Regards

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community