Refining Community Logo

Coke drum operating pressure

Home Forums Coking Technical Fractionation & Process Process Coke drum operating pressure

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  antonio saura Cebrian 13 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Carlos Di Marco
    Participant

Hi everybody, does anybody know which are the advantages and disadvantages of operating the coker at a lower pressures? and which is the effect of reducing the pressure?. I think I´ll increase the Diesel Oil yield, but I´ll have a lower VCM (volatile content material) and the coke drum will be hard and difficult to cut.
    Please, tell me if what I think is mistaken. thank you!!!!

The pressure at the top of the Coke Drums affects the type of coke produced and the yield distribution of the gas oil and lighter products.  Increasing the drum pressure increases coke yield and gives a better coke product, in terms of pore structure, density and VCM content, while decreasing the end point of heavy gas oil product and increasing the amount of C4 and lighter vapors produced.  Pentane and heavier liquid product yields are decreased at higher pressure.  Since coke is only by-product of the process, the Coke Drum pressure should be operated at the lowest pressure possible within equipment limitations in order to maximize the overall yield of liquid products from the coker. if you decrease the pressure  is the opposite to the explained

Anonymous

What is the operating pressure coke drums, now?

I ve seen between 10-15 psig (minimum) for petcoke(fuel grade) and for anode grade can be greater than  50 psig, depends what type of  feed is going to use (aromatic.etc)

cokerdragon
    Participant

What is the pressure at the Frac receiver or the compressor suction?

Anonymous

Coker Fractionator Receiver OR Compressor Suction Press. is 0.4 to 0.5 kg/cm2
    depend on plant throughput and equipment desine capicity.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community