Refining Community Logo

Coke drum cracks

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 12 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Paul Brasher
    Participant

I work on a Eight Drum coker on a 12 hour cycle. We had a total of 10 cracks in 2006 and one already in 2007. I wanted to no if other sights are having these kind of results.

Anonymous

since ther are no details. it is hard to indicate the root cause. However it is recommended that a monitoring program be put in place as early as possible on regular basis,  have welding procedures  and welders ready for welding . Assure that welders are trained on coke drum type materials and positions in order to  provide quality wormanship. Also develop a root cause of the cracks (metallurgy, design, operation, etc)

Anonymous

I am interested to know more information about the crack that happend in RIL refinery Coke Drums… and what is the main cause of this crack… ? is it design problem, manafacturing problem or operation problem? and how is the licensors of this unit? heared it is FW…..

Anonymous

Hi;
        I’m sorry but I do not agree with a lot of responses you have recieved to coke drum cracking i.e  preparation for welding etc.
    Don’t close the gate after the horse has gotten out ! Look at the following; Quench cycle to address coke drum cracks, automate and modify your quenching in a regulated consistent manner to minimize cracking. For cracks at the skirt, look at your vapor heat temperature and stick to the minimum at least . Avoid swinging early. Use the right temperature indicators, not the inlet line temp. use several skin temperatures around the skirt. Also, you do not have to cut rates to optimize your drum cycles, you need to plan them. Don’t get caught in a jam with a cable change, an overhead line cleaning and be forced to modify your cycles. Do all this during a de-coke or plan all the activities together and don’t get caught with your pants down. Stuck drill stems causing you to upset your cycle and take short cuts? Use a tensioning device to avoid stems getting stuck and bird caging on stem cables. Most of the time, unless the drums are extremely old, it’s not the metallurgy, it’s how you manage it. Also, if you made a conscious decision to sacrifice the drums for throughput, it may be time to pay up. Nothings for free but at least try the above things first and when all else fails, you may have to bite the bullet.
    Terry.Wiseman@Total.com

sreevatsa praveen
    Participant

with so many analogies, i dunno what mr. terry wants to conclude. Anyway, check the quench cycle. Draw trends and try to remove spikes. If you are processing slop along with neat VR, try injecting slop from the top of the drum. Also check the thermal shocks that are experienced in the initial stages of vapor heating.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community