Refining Community Logo

Air Fluffing Rings

Home Forums CatCracking FCC Operations Air Fluffing Rings

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 7 years ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Refiner –

Have you worked on troubleshooting ideas around the high regenerator catalyst losses? We suspect that we have problems with a dip-leg. In addition, we are having some catalyst level issues. When we cut air back, the level in the regenerator drops – perhaps indicating a problem with the air fluffing rings. Have you done or heard of any investigation into this type issue? Do you remember the condition of this ring last turnaround?

CatCracking.com –

It is NOT uncommon to find damage to the fluffing rings during a TAR. BUT, damaged fluffing rings on a combustor/regenerator FCCU is WAY different (usually MUCH LESS severe) than damage to the air-grid in a traditional bubbling-bed regenerator as far as catalyst losses go; unless the damage is causing SIGNIFICANT attrition.

Usually, if the fluffing ring is damaged we would observe issues/problems with catalyst circulation/fluidization. I usually get E-cat for your FCCU, but I do not get Flue-Gas Scrubber (FGS) fines analyses. Are FGS samples sent for analyses?? IF SO, could I get a copy of the analyses? We could discern what is occurring from this type of data.

Large PSD would indicate that the more likely problem or issue is with the cyclones and not the fluffing-ring. Small PSD data would indicate that the problem is attrition related and could be fluffing air-ring damage.

Cutting back on the fluffing-ring air indicating a decrease in level does not necessarily indicate that there is ring damage. It has more to do with changing catalyst density and level due to aeration.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community