Refining Community Logo

Alternative to Top Automated Unheading Valve

Home Forums Coking Operations Cutting, Drilling, Unheading Unheading Alternative to Top Automated Unheading Valve

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Claus Graf 13 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Robert Fontenot
    Participant

Are there any refiners out there that are pursing or have installed an alternative to an automated unheading valve (Deltavalve, Z&J, etc.) on top of a coke drum.  Do you believe that the alternative will mitigate the risks associated with steam/coke blowouts and other open hole risks?

Thanks
    Wes

Claus Graf
    Participant

Foster Wheeler has a top unheading device that will allow the operator to remotely open the top head. (away from the drum).

Regards, CG

Mitchell Moloney
    Participant

We have recently installed hydraulically-operated swing back top head designs at our Baton Rouge and Beaumont Refineries.  The designs are similar and were provided by Bayside and Foster-Wheeler, respectively.  The designs are manually bolted but employ interlocked features which prevent inadvertent operation of the hydraulics and allow top head operations without exposure to an open top head.  The designs are not cheap and we have not done a detailed price comparison to slide valve designs.  Contact me for additional details.  Mitch Moloney

Anonymous

The hydraulic heads are OK but as an operator I can tell you for a fact that the slide valves are much safer and require less operator exposure. Bottom line: Pay the extra money and virtually eliminate operator interaction with the top head off.

Anonymous

hay guys just trying to find out more about coking and suppliers of any relevent coking products???do you have any web sites or data bases i could have a look at?its in relation to a global refining strategies summit i am part of designing and have not got a clue about coking which is the subjest i have been given!!!!any ideas please email me at finchy47@hotmail.com
    many thank james finch-knightley oil&gas division

Anonymous

Decoking system suppliers:

http://www.flowserve.com

http://www.ruhrpumpen.com

Anonymous

Well, whatever you can do to get the operator away from the top & bottom head is a big improvement.
    Compare it to driving a car. A car with air bags, seatbelts and antilock brakes is safer than a car without them in a collision.
    As technologies become available, they can be used to improve safety. Fully automated and remote operated delayed cokers are possible.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Refining Community