Refining Community Logo

RE: Canadian Natural Resources Limited 1st Qtr 2008 Horizon Oil Sands Update

Home Forums Coking News: DCU, Upgrader 3.Upgrader (registered users only) Canadian Natural Resources Limited 1st Qtr 2008 Horizon Oil Sands Update RE: Canadian Natural Resources Limited 1st Qtr 2008 Horizon Oil Sands Update

Charles Randall
Participant

The info on CNRL phase 2 coke drums is good additional information. The Horizon mine project has been hard to keep up with but overall it was to go from the current CNRL production on Cold Lake /Primrose mine at 232 MBD to final 500 MBD production by 2015-17 after Horizon mine Phases/capacity are added in.

The Horizon Phase 1 was to complete in 2008 and adds 110-135 MBD, adding new DCU (delayed coking unit) & DRU (Distillate recovery Unit) which would account for 4 drums already mentioned and ~360 MBD production. If Phase 2-3 completes in 2010-11 and adds 2 additional drums now mentioned for another 110-135 MBD. The last Phases (4-5?) would add final units and round up capacity to the 500 MBD targeted.   Like all these Canada Bitumen projects the Upgrader & Coker additions seem to overlap & leapfrog into next stage.  I understand Phase 2-3 started in 2006 & at least $124 MM has already been spent on this phase.

Do we know if the CNRL Upgrade coker is going to add the drums onto existing 4 drum fractionator or start /add another coker unit/fractionator? <Example Suncor adds drums until fractionator has 6-8 drums & then started new unit – it is on its 3rd Fractionator now with next 4 drums in Firebag stage>

Also CNRL has lot other Long Term In-Situ/SAGD projects announced / on planning board -are any of those planned to feed into the Horizon Upgrader/Coker or  new Upgraders in Northern region? <RE: SAGD CNRL Birch Mountain (P1 & 2), Gregory Lake (P1-4), and Kirby projects>

I have started spreadsheet trying to track mine/In-Situ projects, Upgraders, type Bitumen/Syncrude produced & where it feeds into. If anyone already has one filled out – I would be glad to trade information?

Thanks for the coke drum info build – they must have been ordered about the same time as original 4 drums. I dont have the Coker Technology down for either FW or COP – are ABB/Lummus doing EPC & trying do Technology?
Regards

Refining Community