Refining Community Logo

RE: 1800 Square Miles And Spreading: Oil Spill In Gulf Of Mexico

Home Forums Refining Community Refinery News 1800 Square Miles And Spreading: Oil Spill In Gulf Of Mexico RE: 1800 Square Miles And Spreading: Oil Spill In Gulf Of Mexico

Charles Randall
Participant

Jessp,
I still have problem with this update – like lot initial ones that are painting this US  BP Oil spill as worst since XOM Valdez and trying to use it as example of why not to do Offshore drilling (really any exploration and get rid fossil fuels).

While both spills are the worst in US history with XOM Valdez tanker spill at 11MM Gallons & BP Horizon spill potentially at 11-14MM Gallons ……. what they leave out intentionally is that none US spills even tip the scale on World spills and would rank about 34th of top 135 spills and magnitudes below the Global top 10 (smallest is 44MM Gallons Odessy spill & largest is ~560 MM Gallons Kuwait spill). <See my post on history this list 5/11/10 previous post item>

The reason they dont mention this comparison (outside liberal environmental political bashing & chance to kill offshore drilling) is because the obvious conclusion is that the US is still the safest & best at this dangerous job in the world and if we halt US offshore drilling ……. it just shifts the job to one retards that have bad history.  Case in point is that recently Venezuela once again sunk an offshore platform proving they lack the expertise (now that Chavez ran off all PDVSA tallent due strike against his government takeover – and I might say doing great job these days helping #4 Colombia bost its production & exports to US), Now I dont remember hearing a word about this or for that matter much on any of the other world spills …..certaintly did not see any protesting environmental types manning liferafts & chanting against the other offenders, did you?
Regards 

Refining Community