Refining Community Logo

Reply To: How to measure the drained water after reactor cooling.

Home Forums Coking Design and Reliability How to measure the drained water after reactor cooling. Reply To: How to measure the drained water after reactor cooling.

Mike Kimbrell
Participant

I have not heard of any flow meters in the drain line. This would be a difficult service to measure as coke fines could plug off any impulse lines and any restriction to provide pressure drop could cause the drain line to plug, which is a serious safety hazard.

I have seen neutron backscatter detectors mounted on the coke drum just above the cone. This device can discriminate between coke and water. It can be used to show water drained down to that point in the coke drum. I am also aware of sites that will put water back into the drum for a few minutes and then watch it drain out to prove that the drain line is not plugged.

What problem are you trying to solve? The use of slide valve technology, either DeltaValve or IMI Z&J, for the bottom and top unheading devices reduces the hazards associated with hot water draining out of a coke drum. These devices allow the operators to open the drum from a remote location and drain through the valve if the drain line is plugged. An appropriate exclusion zone should be set up before attempting to drain a coke drum through the bottom slide valve.

Refining Community