Srini Srivatsan - Wood Group
Rick Lucas - BP Whiting
For anyone who has operated a delayed coker or been in one, the number of manual and sequential steps required to automate the drum structure is significant. The BP Whiting coker, a Foster Wheeler (Wood) licensed unit, is the first new coker in the world to achieve this standard. The unit is capable of:
- Completing all drum cycle steps remotely from the DCS.
- ~80% of cycle steps progress automatically
- ~20% of cycle steps require operator confirmations to progress.
- Separate safety system ensures critical interlocks are maintained throughout the cycle.
- Remote drum decoking from DCS.
With more than 4 years of operation, the presentation will review lessons learned from all the automation and benefits of adopting this technology.